Two weeks into the shool, and I’m still missing one signed Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) from the middle school population. Maybe I should be more “glass is half full” about it and acknowledge I’m only missing one signed AUP. The kids are not allowed to use their school MacBook without turning in that form. I use the non-AUP kids to control the classroom iMac and Smartboard when I lead a lesson for their class. I always ask for volunteers (or guinea pigs as I like to call them) to demo for their classmates, anyway, which leaves me free to walk around as needed asking questions and checking that the other students are on task.
I pasted the AUP we use for grades 5-8 here at The School below:
The School’s Acceptable Use Policy
The School’s students will use its technology facilities in the spirit of The School’s code of conduct and in a responsible and legal manner, following the rules listed below:
• I will always use the computer with consideration and respect for others and myself.
• I will not eat food or drink beverages while working on the computers.
• I will be responsible for my computer’s whereabouts at all times. If I am not using my computer I will return it to a charging station E-mail and Communication
• I will use electronic mail only for school-related purposes. I will never use abusive or profane language in public or private messages.
• I will not access my personal e-mail account, social networking sites, or personal instant messaging software from any school computer.
• I will not use others’ names or passwords. Safety
• I will ask a teacher for permission before I download or install anything from the Internet.
• I will keep my network and electronic mail account passwords private. Software
• I will use teacher-approved software when given permission at appropriate times.
• I will not illegally copy or download software or media (games, MP3s, etc.) Internet
• I will not shop online or make any purchases using a school computer.
• I will not visit inappropriate websites. Teachers and administrators will determine appropriateness. I understand that failure to follow these rules when using The School’s technology, whether at The School or off-campus, will result in suspension of my technology privileges and/or additional disciplinary action. ________________________________Student Name (Print)