Below are the slides Denae Sisco (@DenaeMSisco) used to introduce a quick unit on Digital Citizenship. Sometimes, I like to drop the “digital” and just call this a Citizenship unit to reinforce that we should be good citizens online and offline…
After discussing the content of the slides and answering questions as they arose, students were split into groups of three and assigned a social media site to explore: Facebook , Instagram, Tumblr, Snapchat, YouTube, Wikipedia, Oovoo, Google+, kik, ask.fm. The groups were tasked with reading their site’s Terms of Service and answering the following questions into a shared Google Spreadsheet (see below for a screenshot):
- How old do you need to be in order to use this site/app?
- How can you use this site in positive ways?
- What are some concerns about this site (either your concerns or the site’s policies)?
- Who owns the content?
- Can you adjust the privacy settings?
- How would you contact the site to ask questions or express concerns?
- What are some actions that would cause profiles to be deleted or blocked?