I just learned about a new free online textbook for learning Scratch visual programming environment. Michal Armoni and Moti Ben-Arico-wrote the book and are sharing it via a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. This means you are free to Share (copy, distribute and transmit the work) under the following conditions: Attribution (give them credit), Noncommercial (you can’t make money from it), and No Derivative Works (you may not alter, transform, or build upon this work).
As per the Weizmann Institute of Science’s website:
This book will familiarize you with the Scratch visual programming environment, focusing on using Scratch to learn computer science. The book is structured as a collection of tasks. Each chapter teaches a new concept, but the concept is introduced in order to solve a specific task such as animating dancing images or building a game. Each chapter starts with a simple task, but as soon as we solve one task, we add additional tasks to extend the existing task. The sequence of tasks will require a new construct of Scratch or the use of constructs you know in new ways.
Download (version 1.0 for Scratch 1.4, 5 May 2013):
- The textbook (print one-sided).
- The textbook (print two-sided and bind).
- Scratch projects accompanying the textbook.
- Costumes for Scratch projects accompanying the textbook.
This is to enable the instructor to give the students the costumes without revealing the source code of the projects.
Our other learning materials for Scratch:
- Implementation in Scratch of the algorithms from Computer Science Unplugged.
- Robotics projects in Scratch: Karel, Valentino Braitenberg, LEGO WeDo.
- The following articles: Learning computer science concepts with Scratch, Habits of programming in Scratch, Loop constructs in Scratch can be downloaded from Moti’s ACM Author-Izer page.
- Download the questionnaires used in that research.
Hebrew language website: http://stwww.weizmann.ac.il/g-cs/scratch/index.html.
Contact: Please send comments and suggestions to: email@example.com.