Welcome back! It’s the beginning of another year and thus time for me to review our school’s Responsible Use Policy (RUP) with each of my students before they can use their assigned school devices. It provided yet another opportunity to stress that we should strive to use technology academically, creatively, and responsibly especially as everything we do is public, permanent, and traceable. This year, I wanted to innovate the language a little to reflect changing attitudes and uses, so I asked my colleagues for input and included them in this new and improved RUP. Enjoy!
The School’s Responsible Use Policy
The School’s students will use its technology facilities in the spirit of The School’s code of conduct and in a responsible and legal manner following the rules listed below. I understand that failure to follow these rules when using The School’s technology, whether at The School or off-campus, will result in suspension of my technology privileges and/or additional disciplinary action.
- I will use The School’s devices with consideration and respect for others and myself.
- I will remember that school devices are the property of the The School and should be treated with care.
- I will not eat food or drink beverages while working on the computers.
- I will be responsible for my device’s whereabouts at all times. If I am not using my device I will return it to my charging cabinet.
- I will think before I print to avoid wasting ink, paper, and resources.
- I will use electronic mail only for school-related purposes. I will never use abusive or profane language in public or private messages.
- I will not access my personal accounts, sites, or messages from any school computer without permission.
- I will think before I send an email. I will not spam the community or share chain letters.
- I will ask a teacher for permission before I download or install anything from the internet.
- I will keep my network and electronic mail account passwords private and I will not log in with others’ usernames or passwords.
- I will not use devices assigned to other people unless directed by a teacher.
- If my device is not in the cabinet, I will communicate with:
1) My Advisor 2) Security 3) Ms. Nicholson 4) Ms. Blumberg
- I will make wise choices, because everything I do online is public, permanent, and traceable.
- I will avoid inappropriate websites. I will visit teacher-approved sites and apps when given permission at appropriate times.
- I will not illegally copy or download software or media (games, songs, images, videos…)
- I will T.H.I.N.K. before I post to academic and social sites.
T – is it true?
H – is it helpful?
I – is it inspiring?
N – is it necessary?
K – is it kind?
__________________________________ Student Name (Print)
__________________________________ Student Signature